Congratulations! You have been invited to join Carillon Communities, one of the university’s newest living-learning programs. Living-learning programs help a big campus feel small. At Maryland we have received national recognition for our outstanding communities.
More than half of all first-year students at Maryland participate in a learning community. We are excited for you to join Carillon - the living learning community that translates your curiosity into action!
Accepting Your Invitation
You received your invitation to Carillon as part of your UMD acceptance letter. Before accepting the Carillon invite review our website, read about the program, learn about our different communities, and decide if Carillon Communities is for you.
If you want to start your first year at Maryland working with faculty and your peers to wrestle with Big Questions important to our world, then Carillon is for you.
Accept your invitation by following these steps.
- Review the eight Communities on the website.
- Choose at least three communities that interest you (you can choose more). We encourage you to select communities that allow you to explore interests beyond your intended major. The community courses are designed to satisfy general education requirements.
- Why are we encouraging you to choose three communities? Each community is limited in size. By selecting three we will have the greatest opportunity to offer placement in a community of your interest. If you select less than three communities and are not selected for those you identified you will not be placed in another community, and will not be a member of the Carillon Communities. Please note that lack of placement in Carillon will have no adverse effect on your enrollment at Maryland.
- To respond to your Carillon Communities invitation and indicate your living-learning program interests, navigate to the checklist within your Terps Application Portal and select the Carillon Communities Interest Form. Please complete the form no later than February 22, 2021. You must complete the Interest Inventory form to accept your Carillon invitation. You are not automatically enrolled in the program.
- Review the full directions for submitting your Interest Form.
- Please note that completing the Interest Form does not commit you to the University of Maryland, it only reserves a spot in Carillon Communities. Accepting admission to the University of Maryland is a distinct process. To accept admission to UMD refer to the information on the Terps Application Portal.
Students participating in Carillon Communities will reside in Easton or Elkton Hall. Every new first-year student who desires to live in campus residence halls MUST complete the Housing/Dining Services Agreement by May 1 to be eligible to live on campus. The housing agreement can be found at Resident Life. Completing this application does not guarantee you housing at UMD.
Due to social distancing, the University of Maryland will host virtual open houses. Information will be forthcoming.
February 8 – 6-7pm ET - What is Carillon Communities? View webinar
February 22 – Deadline to submit your Carillon Interest Form
March 5 – Receipt of email informing you of Carillon Community placement
February 26, March 6, April 7 and 16 – Virtual UMD Open Houses
May 1st – Deadline to confirm enrollment to UMD
May 1st – Deadline to submit Housing and Dining Agreement